One Day in the Rhineland :: Part III – Burg Rheinfels & St Goar
Construction of the main Rheinfels castle began in 1245, and it grew to become the most powerful and impenetrable fortress along the Rhine until it was surrendered by a weak commander to the French in 1794. The French blew up the fortifications and castle in 1797, and later the stones were used in the reconstruction of the Ehrenbreitstein fortress to the north. The Prince of Prussia purchased the ruins in 1843 to save it from complete decay.
St Goar, a quaint little village catering to tourists, sits below the castle along the river.